Chris Vale is a Director of Rouse based in Hong Kong.
Chris joined our London office in 1998 and has been working in Asia for more than 20 years, setting up Rouse's offices in Vietnam, Hong Kong and Cambodia. He is a qualified lawyer in both UK and Hong Kong, and chairman of Rouse International Limited.
His practice covers contentious and non-contentious intellectual property and he has extensive experience across the AsiaPac region.
He advises clients across a range of sectors including sports, food and beverage, electronics, pharma, entertainment and media, IT, and tobacco. Working on major IP litigation, he manages complex, multi-jurisdictional disputes and develops strategies across the different legal and regulatory environments in AsiaPac. He has represented some of the world's leading companies in sports and entertainment, food and beverage, and electronics.
Chris has been involved in advising leading companies in relation to patent and trade mark litigation in the Asia Pacific region, and has developed expertise in standard essential patents in particular in South East Asia.
In sports, he has advised football clubs, players, sports clubs, major brands, sponsors, marketing agencies, broadcasters on various issues both contentious and non-contentious.
Chris created and edits the blog IP Mekong (www.ipmekong.com) which focuses on the development of IP in Asia Pacific, with a particular focus on Vietnam and Cambodia.
BA (Hons), (English Literature), Leeds University, United Kingdom
Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in England and Wales, United Kingdom
Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Who's Who Legal Trademarks, 2017 - 2020: Recommended/Leading Practitioner
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2016 - 2020: IP Star for trade marks
- WTR 1000, 2018: Listed as a Leading individual in Vietnam and Hong Kong
- WTR 1000, 2016: Ranked Gold for Enforcement and Litigation
- Chambers Asia Pacific, 2016: Listed as a Notable practitioner and as an Expert Based Abroad
- Set up and runs a HK based foundation which provides football (soccer) coaching for underprivileged children in Hong Kong, with over 50 children currently in the program and growing.