Nick is Deputy CEO of Rouse, providing hands-on support to Chief Executive, Luke Minford.
Before joining Rouse in 1996, Nick worked with an Australian law firm then a London commercial law practice. After working in Rouse's London office for two years, he worked in Rouse offices in Indonesia, Vietnam and Dubai. He was Indonesia Country Manager from 1999-2003 and he helped set up the Rouse businesses in Thailand in 2000 and the Philippines in 2005. He moved to run the Hong Kong office in 2003, he ran the Guangzhou office in 2004 before returning to manage Rouse's business in Indonesia from 2010 - 2013. He opened Rouse's new African offices in 2015.
His experience in the 1990s was in outsourced IPR programmes for multinationals in Greater Europe and the UK as well as handling English civil IPR litigation (including the Chocosuisse v Cadbury reported English case).
Nick's decades years of Asian experience since then has led him to run anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy work throughout Asia, from the South East Asian countries to China. He has a specialisation in complex IP litigation in Asia, including cross border disputes, Chinese infringement disputes and famous trade mark recovery/ trademark squatter cases. He has built and managed many China IP enforcement programs.
Nick advises many MNCs as well as Asian companies on copyright, patent and trade mark protection around the world. His commercial experience includes IP agreements and deal structuring including IP M&A and financing.
Nick’s consulting experience focuses on helping start ups develop and build IP portfolios, and managing VC investment. For larger corporations, he helps devise intangible asset strategies, encompassing not only IPRs but other intellectual assets such as data, know-how and human capital assets. Nick leads Rouse’s IPR Policy and Development practice helping international institutions implement IP capacity building and similar programs in SE Asia especially.
His clients include multinationals in the green tech, pharmaceutical, electronics, consumer goods, personal care, tobacco, financial, motor, entertainment and food and beverages sectors. Nick advises many of the global copyright industry associations as well as many luxury brands. He especially likes working for IP rich Asian SMEs and start-ups.
Nick writes the IP Komodo Dragon blog (http://ipkomododragon.blogspot.com) about IP issues in SE Asia. He has been on the editorial board of Managing Intellectual Property. He has been a speaker at conferences and events run by INTA, AIPLA, The New York State Bar Association, Managing Intellectual Property, ASEAN IP Association, Indonesian IP Association, ITechlaw, and Malaysian IP Association. He is active in the following organisations: INTA, IPO, FICPI & AmCham (previously in Hong Kong the IP committee chair). Nick teaches law at Stenden University.
- LLB (Hons), Exeter University & Chester College of Law, United Kingdom
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in England and Wales, United Kingdom 1994-2017
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Hong Kong 2010-2017
- Registered Foreign lawyer Indonesia 2015-2017
- Managing Intellectual Property 2016: Listed as an IP star for trade marks
- Chambers Global 2016: Listed as an Expert Based Abroad
- WTR 1000, 2016: Recommended Individual
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks, 2015: Listed as Most Highly Regarded Individual for Asia-Pacific
- WTR 1000, 2015: Recommended Individual
- Managing Intellectual Property, 2015: Listed as 'IP' star
- Chambers Global, 2015: Listed as 'Foreign Expert'
- WTR 1000, 2014: Listed as a 'Leading individual'
- Managing Intellectual Property, 2014: Named as an 'IP' star
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks, 2014: Listed as 'most highly regarded individual'
- Travelling, spending time with family, history, modern literature, obscure modern music, motorcycling, running, surfing and a competitive triathlete hoping to complete an Ironman one day