Gunawan established local law firm, Suryomurcito and Co. - our associate firm in Indonesia - in 1997. He has extensive practical experience of IP protection and enforcement in Indonesia.
Gunawan joined Rouse in 1997 from Indopatent, the law firm and patent and trade mark agency of which he was a founding partner. Prior to that he worked in the office of Oei Tat Hway Patents & Trade Marks for nine years, ultimately taking charge of the firm's trade mark anti-counterfeiting division. He established Suryomurcito & Co in March 1997. He has undertaken various advanced intellectual property and management courses in Indonesia, Europe and Japan.
He has extensive practical experience of IP protection and enforcement in Indonesia, having handled a large caseload of both contentious and non-contentious trade mark and patent work throughout his career. Gunawan is a registered patent attorney and in 1998, when the draft patent law was tabled at the Parliament, he was invited to attend the public Parliamentary hearing as an expert. One of his suggestions was incorporated into the Patent Law of 1989. He is currently President of the Indonesian Intellectual Property Society.
Sarjana Hukum (equivalent to LLB), University of Indonesia
- Asia IP Expert 2016 - Enforcement and Patents
- IAM Patent, 2016: Recommended Individual
- Managing Intellectual Property 2016: Listed as an IP star for trade marks
- WTR 1000, 2016: Recommended Individual
- WIPR Leader 2016 for trade marks in Indonesia
- Chambers Asia Pacific, 2016: Listed as a 'Notable practitioner'
Legal 500 Asia Pacific Rankings 2015: Listed as a 'Leading Individual'
WTR 1000, 2015: Recommended Individual
- Managing Intellectual Property, 2015: Listed as 'IP' star
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014: Listed as a 'Notable practitioner'. Clients say he "doesn't just spit out a product – he is interested in developing a strategy for us."
WTR 1000, 2014: Listed as a 'Leading individual'. Clients say he is a “consistently excellent” litigator.
- Asialaw, 2014: Mentioned in the the 2014 edition of Asialaw’s Leading Lawyers publication.
Managing Intellectual Property 2014: Named as an 'IP' star
Gardening, photography, philosophy and spiritual discussions (Christian, Buddhist and others)