Streamlining administrative disputes before Rospatent
New Rules will shortly be introduced in Russia which will streamline the resolution of administrative disputes before the Russian Patent and Trademark Office (Rospatent).
In particular the new rules provide for the following:
- Clear, reduced, deadlines for various stages.
- A significant expansion what can be done electronically. For example, the ability to download case materials to the Rospatent website, and for such materials to be available not just for Rospatent but for interested parties to review.
- The possibility to take part in hearings by video conference.
- An expansion of the circumstances in which it is possible to provide additional evidence once proceedings have commenced.
- The empowerment of Rospatent to collect all necessary evidence, including from independent experts.
This is all a logical evolution of changes which have been introduced gradually over the last few years, starting with electronic filing in 2013, and will further streamline proceedings to the benefit of all participants.