It is already possible to obtain an injunction against patent infringement covering the whole of the United States. In a couple of years from now – and for the first time ever - it should be possible for patent owners to obtain a similar injunction, in court action, covering most of Europe. In theory, patentees will be able to remove a competitor’s product from these two markets by means of two court actions.
Jason and Rebecca will be discussing:
- the changes that are being introduced
- the likely timing of the new regime’s entry into force
- the circumstances in which patentees should obtain Unitary Patent protection
- how to obtain Unitary protection
- how the new Court will work
- the potential benefits and disadvantages of the new system; and
- the issues patentees should be considering now to decide whether or not to opt their existing European Patents out of the new litigation system when it comes into force.